Public Access and Historic Sites along the Willimantic River - Headwaters Region
Stafford Springs, Ellington, Willington & Tolland, CT
- Hyde Park, Stafford Springs
- Riverside section
- Ridgetop section
- Kollar Wildlife Management Area, Tolland
- Cole W. Wilde Trout Management Area, Tolland & Willington
- Nye-Holman State Forest, Tolland
- Heron Cove Park, Tolland
- Stafford Springs, where Middle River and Furnace Brook join to form the Willimantic River. Colonial foundries and various mills along the river and its tributaries became textile mills in the 1800's. Warren of Stafford/Loro-Piana still produces textiles in its 1800's mill buildings. Native Americans drank water from the mineral springs, and the town became a "health spa" in the 1700's and 1800's.
- Various mills located here since 1819. AMF Cuno filter company now occupies a former woolen mill site off Route 32 in Stafford.
- Former Rockville Gas and Electric Company hydro-electric dam, c. 1900-1938. Furnished electricity to Stafford. Dam and foundation remain in Ellington.
- Owwaenunggannunck "here people go to catch salmon." Native American fishing site at the confluence of the river and Roaring Brook. The former Scripture Bridge (early 1800's -1938) crossed the river just upstream from the confluence. Stone abutments remain. Access in Kollar Wildlife Management Area in Tolland.
- Red Bridge (1800's) where the Center Turnpike (1826-53) crossed the river on route from Tolland Courthouse to Dudley, Mass. Stone abutments remain. Access from North River Road in Tolland.
Maps created by Denise Burchsted from data provided by CT DEEP through UConn's Map and Geographic Information Center (MAGIC). Data accessed on March 2005. Additional information provided by the Willimantic River Alliance.